Beauty is everywhere.
Photography is my yoga. It’s my drive up Highway 1 with the windows down; my walk in the woods at dusk; my dip in Lake Michigan in August.
It's my pause button.
Because even on those days when it feels like we are sprinting to catch up with this life racing by; or when it seems like we are climbing uphill and gasping for air, if we just slow down to see, I mean really, really see… we'll notice that what we are looking for is already there.
Waiting there in life's subtleties, beauty is everywhere.
hand me a camera and send me on my way..
Growing up in a small industrial town in Michigan, my curiousity for travel and big city life began about the same time I first picked up my parents’ Kodak Instamatic camera. A documentarian at heart from the beginning, I've been fascinated with people and telling their stories ever since.
I am honored to have earned my degree in photography from Columbia College Chicago in 2003, where I learned the traditional craft from masters in the field. Those slow and contemplative days, shooting film and making fiber prints in the darkroom, taught me that a picture has not truly become a photograph until it is printed. My days in Chicago also provided invaluable experience shooting regularly for Chicago Children's Museum and working full-time for one of Chicago's finest photographers.
In early 2006, my husband and I were transplanted to Los Angeles for his work as an animator/illustrator. It was near the beginning of our 5 year stint in California that my photography business was born; and I began applying the same passion and commitment for clients as I have for my personal work.
In late 2010, we were pulled back to our Midwestern roots and took a chance with Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was love at first hike. Since then, I have quickly built a loyal clientele in West Michigan while traveling throughout the U.S. to work with new and long-term clients alike.
From NYC to San Francisco, from Hilton Head Island to Chicago, and many visits back to Los Angeles, I am so grateful to combine three of my strongest passions: photography, travel, and connection... Because there's really nothing better than the relationships that have bloomed as a result of this meaningful work.
- Bali Institute (Featured photos on website and in newsletters)
- Pinhole Press / Pro (Personal photo book featured in printed brochure and website)
- travel, editorial, & commercial photography: assignment photography, image licensing, & fine art prints
- documentary, lifestyle, vacation child & family photography
- authentic portraits, headshots, & branding photography for small businesses and entrepreneurs
- The Lake Michigan Cottage Cookbook, Storey Publishing, coming Spring 2018
- Where to Retire Magazine, Cover Story, May/June 2018
- Greenhouse Management Magazine, Cover Story, July 2017
- Nursery Management Magazine: Cover Story, Sept. 2016
- Midwest Living Magazine, March/April 2015
- Traverse Magazine, Full Spread Feature Opener, July 2014
- The Intelligent Optimist Magazine, August 2013
- Los Angeles Times.com, 2008
- Chicago Public Radio.com, 2008
- Chicago Children's Museum, 2005
- Chicago Tribune, 2004
- Chicago Parent Magazine, Jan. 2004